Z9..... what if

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,439
Re: Z9..... what if

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

All I want to know is how well, or not, the new sensor works. I'm recalling another new sensor from Nikon which was quite disappointing: the one in the D2H. Cost me quite a bit of money. I jumped on one right out of the gate, then discovered reality, then sold it at a significant loss. I won't be doing that again.

Stan

Anyone who jumped early on a Z9 and gets one in the first few months who isn't happy with it will more than likely be able to sell it at a profit - the waitlist will be immense and long for certain.

Like many here I've followed the Z9 information and details very closely and find the sum of all parts simply breathtaking. I'm expecting this will be the first camera in my 50 years of shooting that is going to outstrip my skills to make use of all those features for a while.

Although we still have to see the final production version the AF appears astounding, the 46MP providing no compromise compared to my D850 (and I really don't want larger file sizes), and there's finally no compromise in DR over the Dx series at low ISOs (a previous deal-breaker for me). The list of features is too numerous to list and fully discussed elsewhere. I expect the final production version to offer a few more pleasant surprises. I don't think there will be an equivalent with the breadth of a Z9 until the next generation of flagships from Sony and Canon.

But I am greedy. The only open switch for me is mid-high-iso noise performance. Will theZ9 match or be close to the D5 specifically in mid-high ISO noise performance? I don't care about a 1/3rd or even a 1/2 stop difference in noise performance compared to the D5 - IBIS will make up for that and then some, but if it's in the same ballpark along with IBIS and its amazing AF - that would be incredible for us low-light shooters.

When I pulled the trigger early on a Z9 I didn't doubt for a moment that it's not going to be an instant winner. Now if it's significantly worse than the D5 in mid-high ISO performance re noise at 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, etc then I might reconsider, but we don't even have the final "tuned" samples to evaluate, but I am optimistic.

And if I'm wrong, I'll sell it and more than likely make a decent profit.

Mike

-- hide signature --

The one thing everyone can agree on is that film photography has its negatives. It even has its positives and internegatives.

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
xtm
(unknown member)
NCB
NCB
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow