Sony 200-600 Autofocus noise

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DennisWe New Member • Posts: 10
Sony 200-600 Autofocus noise

Hi everybody,

after some bad luck with another body from another manufacturer I recently decided to move into the E-mount-system and got myself a Sony Alpha 7R IVA and some lenses. One of those is the Sony 200-600. So far I really like the lens. The build quality is nice and I love the fact that its an internal zoom. However I noticed that the AF-motor in my sample of the lens seems to be more noisy than I anticipated as I often read that the autofocus was silent or only audible when putting the ear directly at the lens barrel. I can (especially in AF-C) regularly hear a constant clicking and whirling noise (not from the OS, as the noise is also there when the OS is off) when Im looking through the viewfinder in a somewhat quiet environment. On the other hand my 24-105 F4 is significantly less audible.

Im curious wether this is usual as I never owned such a large lens before and understand, that the AF in such a lens might be noisier than in my 24-105 for example.

Your answers are highly appreciated.

Sony a7R IVA Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow