A7IV .ARW to RAW developer of choice. On Win11 without ExifPilot

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
stateit
stateit Senior Member • Posts: 1,556
A7IV .ARW to RAW developer of choice. On Win11 without ExifPilot

This has been driving me nuts all day. So I thought I'd post it here. It may be old news to some.

With Exif Pilot you can change the EXIF of the .ARWs to 'A73' so your RAW developer of choice can import the files. But the free version can only do one at a time. Which is bonkers to do after a shoot. The batch plugin costs some £/$/€ 75.

And Exif Pilot worked for me once on the day I downloaded it (a couple of days ago), but doesn't play along with Win11 anymore. Despite re-installs, endless dicking about, etc. (Exif Pilot don't yet support Win11).

So even if I'd bought the batch plugin it wouldn't work for me.

Exif Tool is a free command line tool that will batch a folder.

For those that don't mind a bit of command line, then this is the way if you don't want to spend any money. And I don't after buying that camera.

My method is to:

1. rename the windows executable from exiftool(-k).exe to exiftool.exe
  2. Drop that in my folder of raws
  3. Open CMD, change directory to where my raws are (copy/paste the folder location from file explorer as text)
  4. Run the following in CMD: exiftool -Model="ILCE-7M3" -ext ARW -r *.*
  5. You have accessible RAWs, and a backup of the originals with _original appended to the filename.

What took me ages to figure out was the -Model tag. The references I found first included -sonymodelid and I also played with -cameraid. Which didn't work.

http://exiftool.sourceforge.net/

Good luck!

Edit:

There is more than one way to skin this cat with respect to where to place the exiftool. the raws, and execute the CMD. But this works for me.

I understand there is a MAC version as well...

https://sullivangeorge.photo

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow