Real Life Story

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SteveS58 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,412
Real Life Story

Ruth Orkin

I went to Fotografiska yesterday, a photography museum in NYC,  to see an exhibit of Ruth Orkin's work. She was a street, fashion, and documentary photographer during the 1940’s-1980’s. This photo is one of her most famous and was taken in Rome. I read somewhere awhile ago that the photo was a "set up", that Ruth had been shooting a fashion model close by and had noticed these men standing on a corner. During this era, men in Rome were notorious for oogling and catcalling young women. So Ruth told the model to go down the street, wait for her signal and to then walk through the men.  Her plan was to photograph the mens reaction to the beautiful model from the perfect angle where she stood near the corner. You can see the lively expressions on their faces.:)

So as I came to this photo in the museum. two men were chatting in front of the photo. I turned to them and remarked that the photo was a "set up." So one of the guys turns to me and says that it was not a set up, and the one who should know that for sure is the fellow standing next to me who is her son. The son got really annoyed at me and denied that anything was "set up.” He was not willing to listen to what I had to say.  With that I walked on and went through the rest of the exhibit.

By the way, nice exhibit.
Steve

-- hide signature --

Steve Schulman
Steve Schulman Photography

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow