Sony a7C/a7IV vs Nikon Z5 as first FF system: which is better money and future-proof investment?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Henry Caballero New Member • Posts: 14
Sony a7C/a7IV vs Nikon Z5 as first FF system: which is better money and future-proof investment?

After having a Sony Nex-5 and a Fuji X-A1 in the past 10 years, I’ve become enthusiastic about getting into a FF system.

I never had any lens other than kit lenses, so I did not experience the joy of fast primes or high quality zoom lenses before. I’d like to change that and to grow into the hobby of photography.

So, I’ve bought a 7C body to try, along with a Sigma 28-70 f2.8 and Tamron 28-75 f2.8 G2 to compare and decide which will become my travel (and first!) lens. I’m loving the Tamron specially, the Sigma not as much although I haven’t tried them for too long and I know both are fantastic lenses. I did not consider the Sigma 24-70 2.8 Art because of weight mainly.

My idea is to have a standard zoom first and one prime later, still not sure if 35mm or 50mm will suit me better. I think I’ll decide on the prime after spending months with the standard zoom and realize what focal lengths I use and enjoy more. I like street photography and want a good travel camera.

So that’s my brief experience so far and I realize I like the Sony system, especially from the results I’m seeing and the wide array of lens choices available. I’m considering exchanging the 7C for a 7IV as a more future-proof investment. I don’t mind the bulkier body.

Now though I’m happy about it all, I realize it’s a steep initial investment (up to 3.5K for a7IV with Tamron standard zoom). I initially had expected to spend around 2K, mainly because my lack of knowledge in high quality gear.

I know that I might be approaching FF from the expensive side with Sony and there might be cheaper alternatives. In that sense, I thought the Z5 body (which can be found for 1K) would be a more budget-minded alternative. Also considering I’m more interested in stills for now and not as much in video.

Problem is I haven’t researched into Nikon as much as I have about Sony, and I could not find nearly as many native Z lenses. I know that I could use Nikon DSLR lenses with adapters and that should be very cheap in comparison, but that’s not something I’m interested in personally.

For example, I could not find a Z standard zoom lens comparable to the Tamron. The Nikon Z 24-70 f4 was the closest I could find, but it’s a slower lens and arguably of slightly less quality. Of higher quality, I could only find the pro-spec Z 24-70 f2.8, which retails for almost 2K! bringing the set with the Z5 to 3K, which is much closer to 3.5K with Sony.

So my questions are:

What are the blind spots in my research and experience so far?

Am I right to identify these two as the right entry-level choices for my case:

• Sony: a7C/a7IV with Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (2.7K-3.5K)
  • Nikon: Z5 with Z 24-70 f4 (1.6K)

Can Nikon Z system offer a better entry-level alternative than Sony that I’m not seeing?

In my view, Sony is the leader here and thus I would prefer investing in their system vs Nikon, but I would not like to discard Nikon just based on ignorance. Also I know that I will be buying into a system for years, so I would not like to be too cost-driven now if I’ll probably have to switch later.

Thanks!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow