Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 G2 Image Quality

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Johnny B Regular Member • Posts: 401
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 G2 Image Quality

Hi Folks,

I've been watching/reading the reviews of the new Tamron 28-75mm lens (here at dpreview, Dustin Abbott, F-Stoppers ...) and all say that the lens has better IQ than the G1 version. But when I look at the Image Quality comparisons at The Digital Picture , I see that G2 has more vignetting and more CA than G1, especially at the long end. I know that these things are largely removed by processing, but this increases noise, degrading resolution. (I would like to see chart tests comparing G1 & G2 after processing.) The reviews mentioned don't address this at all, to my surprise.

Could it be that they aren't looking very closely, or relying on post processing corrections? Could it be that they are 'swept away' by the increasing weather sealing and software customization?

I see that there is some pushback by these reviewers (F-Stoppers?) at 'pixel peeping.' Several reviews don't use test charts at all and rely only on photos they've shot. dpreview used to do more thorough examinations of IQ, but appear to have opted for a more narrative review. For me the use of test charts provides a needed objective look at lens performance.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has found test results that confirm or counter those at The Digital Picture. It is possible that he received a lemon, after all.

Cheers!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow