Compact low light nature camera (with decent zoom)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marcus1970 Junior Member • Posts: 36
Compact low light nature camera (with decent zoom)

Hello, my first post as a complete beginner, hopefully my questions will make sense!

I will start with a use case for my desired camera.

I am looking for a compact that I can take out Trout fishing with me, I want to observe (both photograph and film, with the latter actually being a bit more important to me) the fish in their natural habitat, which often involves standing on a high bank, surrounded by trees in often poor light, with the subjects often times being up to 30ft away but more often 10-20ft away, so an optical zoom will be fairly essential.

For myself I wear a pair of yellow lensed polarised (glass) sunglasses, with a peak cap, which really help me view the fish in the low light conditions and cut through glare on the water well, and also help when the sun is more prevalent. So in my limited knowledge I am assuming I will need some sort of polarising ND filter capability as well, to remove glare and better see "under the water" to the subject, when light conditions are low and overcast

My only real contender so far in terms of the above is the Sony RX100 VII.

But from what I can glean, that doesn't fair too well in the low light department, being F2.8-4.5. - But has excellent (according to reviews) real time tracking autofocus on video (4K) the ability to track moving objects appeals for my use case). I have seen there is a couple of after market options for ND filters for these though. Would these be well polarised enough for my needs?

I am sure there must be cheaper, options out there for me to consider, but I would be happy to hear any suggestions and thoughts on my fairly singular use case.

Thank you very much in advance

Marcus

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow