Why Are My Pics So Poor?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,594
Re: Why Are My Pics So Poor?

abrogard1 wrote:

I don't think I can tell the difference. Maybe the bottom one is a little darker.

I've found I was using jpg's because of a download hassle. They're made by the camera, I shoot in raw and jpg, but they're much lighter than the cr2's. I don't know if it's under my control to change that.

But anyway I'll use the cr2's in future is the point. I've never even used canon's DPP but I'll start. Does it alter the original raw image or makes copies?

I just googled and read a little about it and canon is making a big noise about how wonderful it all is and how good their in-camera conversion is. Bit surprising. To me. Because as I've just said, that's what i"m working with and I don't think it's too good because of that big difference in brightness.

But that's later.

Right now go to fix my faults: speed and shake and focus.

Canon's DPP is highly rated.  It will help you if understand what a RAW file is.  Having said that the .cr2 you get starts with the defaults that you had your camera set to, eg White balance, colour saturation, etc but you can then change them.  When editing a cr2 file the "recipe" is stored in the same file but separately from the raw data, so you can:

1) Revert to last saved settings

2) Revert to shot settings (ie before you made any changes)

From what you've said earlier I would fully uninstall the Canon suite and start again as the EOS utility is very useful, especially if your preferred connection is USB.  However if you put your SD card in the computer then you can use the ImageBrowser utility to download and it mirrors whatever had been downloaded by EOS Utility.  I'm not sure however that you've said what computer you have and you need to ensure you are using the right downloads which you should be getting from the Canon support site.

For a long time I had the 450D and you have a later camera.  There is nothing wrong with those models and you don't need to splash out on new gear.  The one single item I would look at changing is the 18-55 even if it means getting a used 18-55 IS or STM of which there should be plenty around at a good price and low cost.

You also haven't answered the question of how you are focussing.  Are you trying manually, or using one of the focus modes or Live view?  Use a letter or flat magazine inside by the window so you have good light and learn to take a good sharp picture.  Read up on how to hold a DSLR.  If you can't then get good photos it may be you have a gear problem.

Jabbing the shutter (good call) as has been mentioned is something you can practise at overcoming and that will show on the test I've mentioned above.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
rsn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow