Technical question about the Nex7

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Max Burke New Member • Posts: 19
Technical question about the Nex7

Background to the question:
About a year ago my Nex7 just stopped working. It wouldn't turn on even with fully charged batteries. I used it as my every day camera, and it had performed reliably from June 2013 when I bought it.
I tried everything to work out what was wrong, but didn't have any luck.
Some things I noticed at the time:
The LCD flashed for a second when turning it on, and I noticed that there was a tiny red led lit next to the battery compartment door. When I turned the camera on this led flashed for a few times then stayed on. I didn't even know it was there before this started happening. I looked in the manual, but there is no mention of what this led is for and what it indicates. 
I even downloaded a copy of the service manual, that has the tear down instructions for the Nex7, and full circuit diagrams, but I couldn't find any reference to the function of that  LED there either. 
I also thought the camera may have reached it's maximum shutter activation limit, but according to PIE EXIF extractor programme the shutter activation count was around 59,300+ activations, well below the 100 - 150,000 activations the Nex 7 should be good for. 
So I put it away in my closet, and started using my A65 as my everyday camera.
As it would have cost $$$$ to get it looked at/repaired, and I couldn't decide if buying a new A6500 camera body instead would be a better option, instead of getting it repaired, and continue using the lens I already had with the A6500.
Long story short, last nigh I got my Nex7 7 out of the closet to have another look at it,
I charged the batteries, and put a battery in it expecting it still wouldn't work. But when I turned it on it was working again! I did a reset to defaults, and set it up again (date/time/etc)
I also noticed that before doing the reset to defaults, that it was only taking 20Mpixel photos, not 24mpixel photos. The reset fixed that.
Took it out today on my daily walk, and took just under 200 photos with it, without any issues.
So, my question is: (for Nex7 owners) can anyone tell me what the function is for the tiny red LED on the bottom of the camera, next to the battery compartment door (by the hinge)

-- hide signature --

A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there—even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity.
Robert Doisneau, French Photographer.

ANSWER:
Sony a6500 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow