IBIS problem with Venus Laowa 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 2,537
IBIS problem with Venus Laowa 50mm f/2.8 Macro

I have the Venus Laowa 50mm f/2.8 2X macro for micro four thirds cameras. Recently it developed a problem: the IBIS on the G9 no longer works when this lens is attached.

Why I know the IBIS has a problem:

1. The viewfinder jitter does not disappear when the shutter is half pressed, but this works with every other lens (I tried two other lenses @ 50mm)
  2. No effect on shots. With lower shutter speeds, the IBIS clearly isn't helping
  3. The IBIS used to work with this lens! I noticed it now because my shots became more motion blurred and also the viewfinder stabilization was obviously absent.

Things I tried:

1. I tried the cheap AF 40-150 kit zoom and the IBIS works fine
  2. I tried a dumb adapter for a Pentax 50mm and after inputting the focal length, the IBIS works fine. With both of these lenses, I can clearly see the jitter disappear
  3. I tried updating the G9 firmware to the latest

The IBIS still makes a noise when the Laowa is attached. Therefore, I believe there must be something wrong with the lens communication with the camera, i.e. the focal length is not being properly transmitted. However, it still seems to be recorded in the EXIF.

I emailed Venus Optics support already with the problem. But I am wondering if anyone has had this problem, and if so, did you figure out what it was or did you have to send it back to Laowa?

-- hide signature --

My personal (noncommercial) website: https://jpolak.org/

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow