Thoughts on the Sony 14 1.8 GM vs the Sony 12-24/2.8 GM

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,596
Thoughts on the Sony 14 1.8 GM vs the Sony 12-24/2.8 GM

I would like to shoot wider then the 16-35/2.8GM I currently have and have narrowed it down to the 14/1.8GM and the 12-24/2.8GM and am curious on advantages each have or any misperceptions I may have from those who have used one or both. Here are the assumptions I am making:

1: For all practical purposes, the two lenses are comparably sharp. The 14GM is exceptionally sharp, but not notably sharper than the excellent 12-24/2.8GM

2: The big win for the 12-24 is it goes wider and retains the flexibility of a zoom - performing well even at 24. This can mean less lens changes in the field and more flexibility in composition.

3: The big win for the 14 is the wider aperture for dark light and closer focusing, but for me, the biggest win for the 14 is the price and size difference. The 14 basically being half the size and price of the 12-24.

Other notes: I often travel in cold, windy or dusty environments - often with a big backpack - all of which makes lens changes a pain. This is why the flexibility for the zoom is a big win. I had and loved the Laowa 9 - which I sold, as it was not particularly sharp - so the ability of the zoom to go to 12 is a big win. That being said, going through my actual 16-35 keepers, they were usually shot at the widest FL, and I don't use my wide as often as I use my standard or long lenses, which makes it hard to justify the price, size and weight.

I know only I can decide, but curious how others have faired and/or if I am wrong in my above assumptions or missing any other key points.

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow