X-S10 USB charging and off-brand NP-W126S batteries (NOT IN US/NA)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wantfastcars New Member • Posts: 8
X-S10 USB charging and off-brand NP-W126S batteries (NOT IN US/NA)

I recently purchased an X-S10. Though I haven't really had the chance to go out and really try it out yet, from the reading I did before I bought it it seems like the major weakness of it compared to other cameras in it's price bracket is battery life. I'm planning on taking it with me for my New Year's vacation (~9 day trip) and I know I'm going to want/need extra batteries for that.

I have two (and a half) main questions.

1. Is it safe to use a USB cord plugged into a normal wall-charger (like one would use for a smartphone or tablet)? The X-S10 manual only talks about charging the battery in-camera via USB plugged into a PC. I do not intend to bring my laptop with me on this trip, as it is large and heavy. I don't see why it wouldn't be, but this camera is A) brand-new and B) the second most-expensive thing I own, so I want to be cautious with it. If not, I'd be looking into an external wall-based battery charger, which leads to...

2. Does anyone know what off-brand batteries are decent in the Asia/SEA reason? And is it safe to charge a first-party battery in an off-brand external charger? I live in Japan, so the typical "recommendations" of Watson and Wasabi off-brand batteries aren't available. There's a smattering of what appear to be Chinese brands on Japanese Amazon (most notably Homesuit, Wellsky, and DSTE), but all seem to be reported as going bad or getting puffy within a relatively short time (like, less than a year), which makes me hesitant. That said, the price is extremely attractive and getting two batteries and a two-battery charger for less than $30 USD seems like an absolute steal even if I only get a few months of use out of them while I wait for my bank account to recover before buying one (or more) first-party batteries. That said, I also don't want to risk ruining the one good first-party battery I have. Again, it seems like the kind of thing that shouldn't be a problem, but "shouldn't be" and "isn't" aren't the same.

Thanks all. This may seem paranoid but I just want to be careful, and I know camera equipment can be sensitive sometimes.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow