Photoshop Color Grading methods

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Jim B (MSP) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,433
Re: Photoshop Color Grading methods

subferno wrote:

I shoot mostly portraits and I really like the warm color grade of the autumn photos. There are 3 methods that I know of that can get that look but I am not sure when and which is better.

1) Increasing the temperature of white balance - brute force but not great

2) Photo Filter - use the default WARM

3) Gradient Map - gradient map with legacy tone of choice, probably GOLD. Then change to soft light and low opacity.

I am more interested in steps 2 and 3, so please explain to me how you would use them.

I have not used either of the two methods (2&3) you describe. Here are two others

Previously, I have used Topaz Restyle in a second layer in Photoshop, choosing a restyle that achieved the look I wanted. Sometimes I masked out areas. Then I simply blended the two layers to my liking.

Today, I may still do that to achieve more artistic looks, not just color grading.

For simple color grading in PS, I have used a color overlay (found under layer/layer style) and chosen a warm color and set an opacity of 5-10. I probably masked that as well.

Today, I use the tool of color grading that Lightroom Classic has. I like the ability to color grade highlights, shadows, and midtones separately.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow