Which would you choose? Color or monochrome?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ellis Vener
MOD Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 16,302
Which would you choose? Color or monochrome?

Actor and Director Michael Cole is an extraordinarily talented and intelligent guy. Working with him is inspiring.
Starting with the grittiness of the setting, I knew I wanted to do something dramatic and suggested he act the part of a CIA supervisor standing in the background during the debriefing of a suspected double-agent. Michael got the idea immediately and created the character. With a great talent like Michael, all you have to do is suggest and let them take it from there.

Tech stuff: I lit Michael with a single Light and Motion StellaPro Reflex S in digital burst mode, set to 1/4 power, using the "Spot" lens with a bounce card underneath the lens to keep the the shadows on his face from going completely black. The light was pointed down and slightly foward of Michael so I really was just using the edge of the beam pattern to light him. .

The Camera: Nikon Z 7II with a Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S lens. ISO 31, f/3.2 @ 1/1000th, 14-bit lossly compressed NEF format, at 10fps. The raw files were processed in Adobe Lightroom Classic.

I chose to shoot with the aperture wide open (f/3.2 at the working distance) for the shallow depth of field effect.

Many profound thanks to my friend and fellow photographer and Zeiss Ambassador @tracybosworthpage.

Tracy introduced me to Michael and the two of us played while she was working on a headshot with another actor.

Lighting: A single Light & Motion StellaPro Reflex S in Digital Burst mode. Camera and lens: Nikon Z7 II with Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S. Processing tool: Adobe Lightroom Classic

Lighting: A single Light & Motion StellaPro Reflex S in Digital Burst mode. Camera and lens: Nikon Z7 II with Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S. Processing tool: Adobe Lightroom Classic

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
A working photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +10 more
Nikon Z MC 105mm F2.8 VR S Nikon Z7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow