X-S10 + 50mm f/2.0 Long-term Review (with Photos!)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MaartenSFS Contributing Member • Posts: 913
X-S10 + 50mm f/2.0 Long-term Review (with Photos!)

In case you missed it, my review of the 23mm f/2.0: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65633703

The 50mm f/2.0 is another winner from Fuji! Over the course of several months I exclusively used this lens to photograph a variety of subjects. Some of these shots clearly tested the limits of the lens/camera combination, but I think that some of my shots turned out quite nicely! I have much the same great things to say about the 50mm as I did about the 23mm. To my eyes, the output of these two lenses is actually quite similar and the only discernable difference is really the focal length.

They are both compact and feel great in the hands. I still love the aperture ring and the nice big focus ring. I have actually begun to get a feel for manual focus on this camera, which may be due to the closer minimum focus distance or higher magnification, which is where I tend to use MF. I also figured out how to enable back-button focus, although its behaviour isn't exactly like on my Canon DSLR. Since I tend to shoot with an exposure bracket and the AF-ON button now toggles between AF and MF, this may actually be better, though only time will tell.

I actually purchased and tested the 16mm f/2.8 as well, but returned it. I found the lens to be too miniscule and the focus ring night unusable. The images that I uploaded to my computer were also of an inferior quality to the 23mm. I also realised that in a two-lens travel kit, the 16mm was just too wide to be practical all the time. If the 18mm f/2.0 is ever given a makeover, I would consider replacing the 23mm.

50mm can sometimes be too long, but I like the fact that the two focal lengths are far enough from each other that I needn't swap lenses all of the time and am clear about what I'll be getting when I do. When I had a kit lens on my DSLR I tended to use the widest and longest focal lengths anyways. Now that I've started switching between the 23mm and 50mm and have been carying them together in my Peak Design Everyday Sling 3L, in which they fit with room to spare, I can hardly notice the difference in weight.

I only have two minor complaints about the 50mm f/2.0. The first is that I wish that it had the same filtre thread as the 23mm and 35mm. The second is that I wish that Fujifilm also sold a premium lens hood for it, although I understand why it needs a different one and I like that it is reversable, as I have my CPL filtre practically glued on.

Anyways, I'll let the photos do the talking. I will spread them over three posts, as I was informed that I posted too many last time. Enjoy!

If only the weather had been better that day, with a better sky... Slightly cropped.

I always keep DR200 turned on, as I can turn it off using Fujifilm X Raw Studio.

I tend not to favour extremely blurred backgrounds, where there is little context.

Really happy with this one! Slightly cropped.

50mm isn't long enough to capture a lot of wildlife, but with a bit of patience (and luck) it can be done.

When travelling and trying to capture a range of subjects, it is a great, light-weight compromise.

-- hide signature --

- Cheers, Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker
https://www.flickr.com/photos/maartensfs/albums

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow