Did a7iv make it harder to decide to get the R6?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Son of Thunder
Son of Thunder Contributing Member • Posts: 845
Re: Did a7iv make it harder to decide to get the R6?

3V AudioVideo wrote:

Did having the Sony a7iv introduced make it harder for you to decide to purchase the Canon R6? Which did you end up purchasing?

I have an M50 and T3i, with the 70-200 2.8, a broken 50mm1.4 (but have the part to fix the focus, just need to fix it myself) and a Sigma 18-35 1.8. I have the adapter so I can use these lenses on my gf's Sony a6400 (as well as another adapter for the M50). So I can use these lenses on either an R6 (which I wanted to get ever since it was announced). Not a lot of lenses. But not until the a7iv came out did I start thinking that maybe this was the one to get instead.

I almost always do video in 1080. I video in 4K only when I am at concerts and I am too far away when using the crop lens that goes to 200mm (the FF lens is too big so venues usually won't allow me to bring it in). Using 4k, I can crop some more in post to get me closer to the subject, without going down in quality lower than 1080. The Sony a7iv 4k60 is crop only, so I could use the small crop lens in venues where I can't use the larger FF L lens. My crop Canon EF-M 55-200 can't adapt to the R6.

But I mainly want to choose the FF that would be best for stills. Lens availability (and for the new lenses I would want to purchase), I see pros and cons for each system, but overall a little more so an advantage with the Sony. I don't think I need super fast AF from the Canon lenses I already have, so using an adapter with them on the Sony would be fine.

I think the a7iv could provide better stills. They have gotten much better with their menu system, touch screen usability, ergonomics and battery life. I really like the dedicated switch on the a7iv that allows ability to easily switch between stills and movie mode, and the menu options to choose which settings should be independent when switching. (Even my M50 has the Movie and 'M' right next to each other on the dial, but the R6 is as far apart as possible - ugh). But...I really like Canon's menu system and ease of use. I am all set on a7iv and pre-ordered it, but there is this little voice in my head telling me don't give up on Canon yet.

Only I can truly decide which one to get and I spent many hours comparing. But just wondering if anyone had a tough decision to make between these two cameras.

I look at the systems as a whole. Sony has a bigger lens selection but Canon is introducing mind blowing lens and very budget friendly lens. Plus you are familiar with Canon system and layout. But go where your heart desires.

Son of Thunder's gear list:Son of Thunder's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M50 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow