XT4 or Z5

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
FTOG Contributing Member • Posts: 994
Re: On the other hand

Austin CB wrote:..

I think Nikon is popular on this forum because it offers a similar cost/weight proposition to Fujifilm while being FF.

Depends on the Fuji you compare the Nikons to:

Only the APS-C Z50 and Z fc weigh around 400-450g, comparable to an X-Pro, X-Tx0, X-E or X-S10 body.

The FF Nikon bodies are more comparable in weight to the 525g of an X-T4 at 590g (Z5) to 615g (Z6 II, Z7 II).

Nikon's 24-70 f4 is lighter and less expensive than the 16-55, its 50mm f1.8 is less expensive than the new 33mm 1.4 while being superior in IQ, and its 40mm f2 is less expensive than the 27mm f2.8.

Except for the 40mm vs 27mm, all other examples would make use of the FF noise advantage to offset their slower aperture. The question would ultimately be how much is the actual net gain in IQ and is it worth the add'l weight and bulk. Moreover only the Z5 is priced competitively against Fuji's midrange.

Not at all trying to talk down Nikon, like Fuji they certainly have their pro and cons. I'd probably be most interested in their FF system if I cared to carry the add'l weight. But that's from the perspective of someone who uses the lighter body and lens options available within the Fuji sphere to begin with.

On paper, the Nikon system makes a lot of sense. Of course, photography doesn't exist on paper, and I love the ethos and the images that Fujifilm produces.

FTOG's gear list:FTOG's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow