D7000 upgrade to D500 or Z7

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Snapquacky Forum Member • Posts: 89
D7000 upgrade to D500 or Z7

Ok, first and foremost, thank you to members of this forum for all the knowledge they contribute. Over the years it has been of great use to me in my hobby. Also some of the images are incredible, encourages me to keep getting out there.

Some background - I have used my D7000 with 300mm f4 af-s and sometimes tc-14 since 2013 now, wildlife tends to be my primary subject matter, mostly small birds, also buzzards, harriers, hares, ducks etc. I had a year where I went mad with birds in flight and shot around 60k on my D7000, it worked well and I perfected the technique...I think  whilst pushing my kit to it's outer limits. I also own 80-200 2.8 and 35mm f2 and a few others.

I have been closely watching the D500 and D850 prices in the UK, grey market the former is around £1200 and 850 is around £1900. Happy to admit I prefer the look and natural qualities of the full frame images the 850 and z6/7 produce, full frame is my goal to some degree. Reach as always is a problem, quite often, the D500 I know will win here.

Then I realise the Z7 is available for £1400, I read the benefits and I see the future will be mirrorless, writing is on the wall and so on. Focus accuracy advantages of mirrorless, new Z lenses, EVF and so on.

Now I am totally torn, my original plan was just grab a D500 and carry on shooting, then I thought, hold on, D850 does it all but the Z7 seems to be favoured by many D850 owners even for wildlife. I read too many tales of owners not picking up their D850 and using the Z7, not so many doing the same with the D500 but some similar reports. Should be noted that light levels in the UK are normally not great so again, full frame does attract me for that aspect.

The question is this, do you think I could push a Z7 to cover the wildlife aspect and get me somewhere between the D7000 and D500. I am finding it hard to invest in dslr's at this stage, would be nice to order a Z9 but I am really going mad for my use buying anything above the Z7 budget, so need to be sensible! Also I would like to keep topping up the 500 pf fund 

Thanks in advance.

Snapquacky's gear list:Snapquacky's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +4 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D7000 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow