Topaz Sharpen AI

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
domus New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Topaz Sharpen AI

Ho72 wrote:

I'll respond even though your comments weren't addressed to me.

Addressed to everyone, of course. Anyone who can reveal the secret parameter.

With regard to salvaging images, my success rate with Sharpen AI is probably around 15% or less. I have seen it work virtual wonders with some photos and then fail miserably on others with nearly the same content and focus issues.

Have tried with the typical case examples; people, animals, insects, and a lot with astrophotography. With animals, I took my slightly out-of-focus shots and eagerly dropped them into Sharpen AI. The auto settings gave me a more blurry image, so I tried absolutely every other setting available. The best I could get out of it was almost on par with what I had achieved with Affinity Photo.

Launching DeNoise AI on shots of the Andromeda galaxy didn't improve beyond what could be done with AP either.

It's a form of gambling--you're betting against the house, the odds are not good and, on top of that, Topaz occasionally adds another exciting element of chance to the mix by releasing updates that are worse than the previous version.

It's also a very time consuming gamble. At least with roulette you know within seconds you've wasted your time.

I got the software on sale and had a coupon as well, so the $ outlay wasn't too bad. But now that my subscription has lapsed, it will take a pretty major breakthrough on the part of Topaz before they see any more of my money.

I'll try it on the odd photo during the next three weeks, and if it keeps disappointing it'll be a refund and I'll wait another couple of years to try it again.

Thanks for the reply!

domus's gear list:domus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow