DXO PL4 vs. PL5. Worth the upgrade? Or is Topaz Image bundle better

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 15,702
Re: Not that simple. . .

Glen Barrington wrote:

Each and every one of us can say which is better for US, but YOU are a different kettle of fish entirely.

I like Topaz products because I can use them on raw and bit mapped files. And I can do some moderately complex masking specifically for the effect that the tool is designed for.

Those who are committed to an exclusive raw to dng with de-noising and sharpening done first, might find DXO more to their liking.

He's already said he's a PL4 user, so your assumptions about workflow are incorrect. PL users don't need to bother with DNGs. They do the full raw development in PhotoLab.

The only way YOU can decide is to use the free downloads and do a side by side comparison.

Neither is a 'bad' choice, and neither is a universally 'good' choice.

He simply wants to know if PL5 is a good value upgrade from PL4, or if spending similar money on the discounted Topaz bundle to complement PL4 might provide more bang for the buck.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow