A Few from Egypt and Turkey

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kaphinga
kaphinga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,787
A Few from Egypt and Turkey

My friend and I had to abruptly end our trip to Egypt during the great Covid shutdown of March 2020, and in October and November 2021 we we were able to return to complete the trip. In addition, we extended our one night layer in Istanbul to five nights before I headed to Antalya, Turkey, on my own for some dental work. In the end, I was on the road for four weeks.

I used m4/3 gear and my iPhone on the trip --- the iPhone for museums and tombs, where regular cameras were not allowed, and m4/3 for everything else. The weather sealing on the m4/3 gear was a big plus in the dust of Egypt. Overall, I was happy with my setup.

One of my photographic takeaways from the trip was that the good photos came in bunches, usually early in the morning. Of course, I knew that beforehand, but this trip really drove it home with the pictures from Abu Simbel and Suleymaniye Mosque. Both sessions generated gobs of decent images.

Detail of Esna Temple. They had made substantial progress on cleaning and restoration since we were there in 2020, and I was amazed at the colors that we could see this year.

Captain Tito on a felucca cruise in Luxor. Interestingly enough, he was the captain of our all too brief dahabiya cruise in 2020. It was good to see a familiar face again.

One of the highlights of the trip was a four night cruise on the dahabiya, The Orient. A dahabiya is a ten passenger sailing vessel, commonly used for luxury travel on the Nile in the 19th century. The boat has no motor, although a small tugboat follows at a respectful distance in case the winds do not cooperate. We were fortunate to travel under sail three out of the four days. I highly recommend exploring the Nile by dahabiya. I took this picture of The Orient from the tugboat.

Interesting to see the livestock market in Daraw

Eskaleh Nubian Ecolodge in Abu Simbel. Most people visit Abu Simbel as a day trip, but I enjoyed the overnight stay. The little lodge was charming, and the very fresh fish and lentil soup at dinner were yummy.

Another advantage to an overnight stay in Abu Simbel was being able to see the temples in the morning with good light. The pictures I took when we arrived the previous afternoon, with the statues all in total shadow and the blown out skies, are all horrible.

Pretty much your standard tourist shot of the harem at Topkapi Palace, but I didn't see the harem when I visited in 2015, and so I was glad to see it on this trip.

Fener, a neighborhood just west of the Golden Horn. Fener was historically the home of the Greek Orthodox community in Istanbul, and we visited several lovely Orthodox churches (which we were unfortunately not allowed to photograph). Today, Fener is a bit of an artsy/bohemian district. Somehow, I can never resist taking pictures of laundry hanging on a line, maybe because one sees it so rarely in the US.

Early morning view from Suleymaniye Mosque. It was cloudy most of the time we were in Istanbul. On our last morning the skies cleared, and I got up early to capture the views from the high hill where the mosque is located.

Antalya is a resort city, which reminds me a little of Southern California. Loved the umbrella street.

-- hide signature --

Marie

kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X100V Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Apple iPhone 11 Pro
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow