Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 22,380
Re: Like PL4? Just spending money?

Digital Nigel wrote:

Pi lover wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Pi lover wrote:

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

Regarding whether PL 5 is worth $49 to upgrade over PL 4: that is a tougher question. If you want to process raw files from one of the Fuji cameras that uses an X-Trans sensor, then clearly yes. If processing speed (especially using DeepPrime) is important to you and you have hardware that will take good advantage of PL 5's potential speed increases, then clearly yes. After that it becomes a closer call. FWIW, neither of those applies to me, but nevertheless I upgraded from PL 4 to PL 5 (for $79) as soon as it came out.

Thanks NAwlins Contrarian for a good answer to the original question.

I found processing faster in version 5 of DXO than it used to be especially with raw noise reduction being used, then saving a jpeg. As an ACDsee user the line extension in DXO was natural. In the near future the next logical step for DXO would be to add a radial gradient (oval or round) to DXO Local Adjustments.

Don't control points do that already?

Control points give me a circle that I can drag along in many directions to make an oblong shape if I paint it on. After using ACDsee which allows easy control using sliders to shape the circle (including squareness), changing to an oblong shape using handles on the circle, and option of setting the direction of the oblong this level of control is missing in DXO.

It doesn't do rectangles, but it is a radial gradient, which is what you asked for. Two overlapping control points close together make an oval.

Workarounds are great and enhance flexibility.  But the addition of single purpose tools, especially when you are used to having one, has significant convenience.  Every piece of software has negative points that 'someone' would like to see improved.  DXO, ACDSee, Lightroom, all require workarounds at times.  It's all about the compromises you are willing to live with.

-- hide signature --
 Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow