A day in July - Part 1 of 7

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 9,237
A day in July - Part 1 of 7

I am catching up on my backlog. These images were captured in a session at the end of July when I was doing my second test of a 12 inch (30cm) diameter plastic bowl as a flash reflector. The bowl was probably lined with paper, possibly over aluminium foil, possibly with an artificial silk diffusion layer over the front of the bowl. The Laowa 100mm 2X macro lens may or may not have had an anti-glare hood on it. (I change configurations from test to test depending on the results I get, and I don't have a record of the  exact configuration used for this test session.) Both flash heads of the Yongnuo YN24EX twin flash were pointing backwards into the bowl. The configuration would have been somewhat similar to the one illustrated here.

The Canon EF-mount Laowa 100mm was attached to a pair of EF-mount Kenko 2X teleconverters which were in turn connected to a Sony A7sii with a Sigma MC-11 EF to E-mount adapter.

I used f/45 through the whole test session, which at the magnifications of around 1:2 to 8:1 that I used would have given effective f-numbers of around f/57 to f/135. These small apertures produce images which are much softened by detail-smearing diffraction.

The raw files were processed using, in this order, DXO PhotoLab, Adobe Lightroom and Topaz DeNoise AI.  Images 5 to 8 in Post 4 of this series and all but one of the images in Post 6 of this series had a visit to Photoshop to damp down large reflections of the flash bowl.

#1.1

#1.2

#1.3

#1.4

#1.5

#1.6

#1.7

#1.8

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow