Do Camera reviewers cater for field curvature in sharpness tests?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DuncanIdaho Regular Member • Posts: 138
Do Camera reviewers cater for field curvature in sharpness tests?

Hey folks, lately I was pursuing my second favorite hobby (after taking actual images): browsing through test images from the usual camera review sites. I found that for some lenses there's quite a difference in regards to how well they pass the tests and most often this is due to varying corner performance.

That made me wonder, how these reviewers test the corner sharpness: do they only focus on the center which makes lenses with pronounces field curvature perform particularly bad? or do they refocus to the corner - like what any of us would do if we photographed a three dimensional object with an open aperture?

Some sites provide information about the testing method but this particular question remains unanswered. i.e. in one lens test Gordon from Cameralabs said that the this one lens suffered from severe field curvature, which is why he refocused for the corner sharpness test - implying that usually the focus point remains on the center.

Before inquiring all the reviewers I'd like to know if there's maybe a common sense answer to that question.

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow