Camera phone shooting RAW/DNG

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Walmsley New Member • Posts: 3
Camera phone shooting RAW/DNG

First, I'm not very technical so much of the technical aspects of reviews does not speak to me, unfortunately.  I'm more in the camp of, "This is what I want from the equipment, will this item provide it?"

I'm a longtime freelance professional documentary photographer looking for a camera phone which shoots RAW/DNG in automatic mode. To clarify, typical situation would be street shooting where you see something and shoot with no/little time to make manual adjustments.   From what I've read, most top end camera phones can be set on fully auto when producing JPGs but not for RAW/DNGs where they are in manual only (you must set exposure and focus).  In all the reviews I've read, this aspect is usually not fully covered but is of enormous significance to street shooters.  Ideally, it would be good to have both options, to shoot fully auto plus to shoot where you could select adjustments to exposure and focus when there is time.

I would transfer these image files to my desktop to work on them in Lightroom, same as with normal cameras.  I have no use for in-camera software making adjustments.

I read that sharpness/detail can be a problem with even top end camera phones.  OTOH, the other day I tried using my (at best) mid-range mobile phone for shooting in the city and found two things.  First, I was taking shots I would not take with a normal camera and, second, no-one batted an eyelid when I raised the camera phone and took shots.  So, I figured, sharpness/detail becomes less important if I could get a higher number of successful shots.

Does such a camera phone exist atm or is there one coming shortly, please?  Anyone know?  Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow