Initial thoughts with the Fuji 50mm f/1 -

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KAAMBIC
KAAMBIC Contributing Member • Posts: 945
Initial thoughts with the Fuji 50mm f/1 -

Well it's every bit as chunky and solid as i imagined, but it balances well considering (on gripped XT3, trying XS10 next). That front element looks so pretty, what a big solid piece of glass. It focuses faster in dim lighting indoors than my other current lenses (Viltrox 56 and adapted EF) which is no surprise as it's letting in much more light.

As for the optics, im very surprised how sharp it is wide open. I read several times it's sharp, but it's VERY sharp at f/1 which im happy to see. Im not a sharpness fiend but when one is going for subject separation, a sharper subject enhances what could be called "sharpness contrast", ie the difference in accutance between subject and BG, making the BG look more blurry.

Speaking of bokeh, very nice and soft. Im sure there's some combination of distance and reflections and blah blah blah that could cause some busyness but so far, i find it pleasing which is nice as this is a portrait lens for me. Below are a few snaps just playing with the lens today.

Feel free to ask anything about the lens or offer samples or insight if you own one. This is definitely a keeper for me, by far the most expensive lens i have bought and one that pretty much locks me into Fuji for long term, not bc it's expensive, but bc i can't see anything from another system that can compare (that i can afford). This is a new lens in X mount and a very interesting one, hope this discussion helps anybody looking for info.

All shots SOOC, Fuji sims, in-camera sharpening at zero, no PP besides cropping or exposure shift.

A very rare sight for me, a selfie.

All below were shot with flash to check true sharpness.

My wonderfully understanding wife....

F4 is razor sharp.

This one is focused at the edge of frame to see how resolution was away from center.

-- hide signature --

"Open, your blessed wings...
And wrap them, around all your things...
Keep yourself, in the company of kings...
Cause it's their hands, that bleed from the strings..." -

KAAMBIC's gear list:KAAMBIC's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-S10 +8 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow