a6600 to A7iv? - Autofocus and more...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoeM83 New Member • Posts: 2
a6600 to A7iv? - Autofocus and more...

I have a mix of apsc lenses and FF lenses. I'm okay with replacing the few that I have with FF glass. Going from a great autofocus system of the a6600, would I see enough of an upgrade in autofocus to warrant an upgrade in this area (from what reviews are out and what is known thus far)? Obviously there are other benefits of FF, but I know there are many folks that say apsc, especially specs and performance of the a6600 is good enough and hard to decipher vs ff. The fact that the a7iv uses the autofocus technology from the A1 has me itching to upgrade for this, as well as other FF factors.

Just for background, I am not intending to use the a7iv for video, I am a hobby photographer, slowly entering the world of paid family portraits, and I have younger boys in sports and want to be able to capture these moments as well. I currently have the 70-200 f/4, Viltrox 85mm 1.8, and the Sony 50mm 1.8 FE, and would plan on upgrading my Tamron 17-70 2.8 to the new Tamron 24-75 G2 2.8. -- I have the APSC 18-135 kit lens, and also a 12mm Samyang APSC AF lens, as well as the APSC Sony 35mm 1.8. Recently I only find myself using the 70-200, 85mm, and 17-70 as an all around lens.

I purchased all of my APSC lenses at fantastic prices over the last few years, so I'm sure I could get my money back, though I would be opting to purchase the "budget" end of the full frame equivalent options in the somewhat near future.

Am I on the upgrade train, or should I bite the bullet and just go full frame? I bounced from the Nikon D7000, to the a6000, to the a6600, but now I'm really considering the real upgrade. I hope this post isn't too novice for the group, I appreciate any commentary.

Sony a1 Sony a6600 Sony a7 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow