People being difficult when photographing Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
3V AudioVideo
3V AudioVideo Regular Member • Posts: 171
People being difficult when photographing

How do you deal with people being difficult when you are trying to photograph them?

In particular, my gf and I took a vacation with a few friends and family.  While site seeing, I wanted to take a group photo and asked my gf's daughter (a young adult) to move over a couple feet to one side and after taking the photo, the girl gets up, takes out her cell phone, takes their own group photo and says: "See, that's all you need to do to take a photo.  No 'move over here' or have this/that over there".

I just let it slide, but thought to myself: "fine, I just won't ask that her to be in any photos anymore and just take photos of other people in our group when they are are not so nearby her".  But later my gf was trying to plan out our week and she and her daughter decided to pick a "photo day" to take photos of just her daughter and the daughter's husband.   I wasn't really thrilled to do it, but since it was just the two of them, I didn't care if they chose the composition and poses (and for any of the other times if it was just them, I was also ok with whatever they wanted).  But when I want to have nice family and friends group photos to remember by,  and their is one person that is not being cooperative, then I am not sure how to handle it without causing a scene/argument (this person can be very vocal and opinionated).  And I wasn't being picky or taking up much of her time at all (an extra 5 seconds at most).

So what I am asking is, how to handle this for next time?

And this also makes me wonder and ask this:  Do wedding photographers ever have bride and grooms that the charge in how all (or most) of their photos should be taken?  Do you follow along?  Or do you try not to, because then if they come out horrible, word of mouth spreads when people see the photos ending up real bad?  Do you ever find out they want to take charge not until you actually start shooting?  And how do you handle all of this?  Just wondering.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
i8z
MOD Biggs23
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow