Firmware 3.40 issues

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,972
Re: Firmware 3.40 issues

Verto wrote:

I have some unfortunate news about the new firmware to report. I've tested it twice in a professional setting and the hit rate is at least 2 times worse than before. I'm basically getting twice the amount of out of focus shots than before. This is strictly speaking of face and eye detect. I was initially very excited as the tracking speed on the screen is much faster and the face and eye track from farther away, but the hit rate is worse. This was tested with stationary subjects as well as moving. The camera would just focus on the background. I used the same settings and lens before and after the firmware. The 50mm 1.8 and the 24-200mm. I wish I could go back to the previous firmware. Has anyone else had similar results in real world shoots?

Just out of curiousity, are the people's eyes/faces clear or do they have costumes on or a lot of make-up. I have noticed (not so much with the original Z but with my Z6 II) sometimes the camera has a hard time locking on to a subject if they are, for example, wearing glasses or something.

I'd have to test out my Z7 (gen 1) body at my next photo shoot (in a few weeks) to see if what you describe can be replicated as I'm curious.

Overall, though, even when I was using my Z7 in previous shoots (prior to the v3.xx updates) the camera did a decent job in most lighting conditions.  But as others have recommended, maybe switch to AF-S.  I generally don't use AF-C for face/eye detect either.

-- hide signature --

(NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread.)

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow