Frame rate considerations for family video

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
samcd Junior Member • Posts: 31
Frame rate considerations for family video

The 24 fps vs high frame rate debate has been endlessly litigated in the context of movies (and "cinematic" web video aping the style of movies), but I haven't seen much discussion about frame rates for other types of video content.

I'm no filmmaker and I don't aspire to be one -- I'm a Dad who takes videos of my family that I hope to watch (lightly edited) many decades from now. What frame rate should I use?

This is my thought process so far:

24 fps - most movies are shot at 24 fps, so home video shot at 24 fps will retain this pleasing aspect of movies (even though no other movie-like production value will be evident!)

30 fps - most video shot today is shot at 30 fps on smartphones. Therefore, even if we move away from 30 fps in the future, videos shot at 30 fps will evoke the 2010s-2020s in a pleasing, nostalgic way.

60 fps or higher - higher frame rates are more "lifelike" and while this can be detrimental in movies (since it makes the artifice of the sets and acting more obvious) it's exactly what you want when you're capturing real moments.

What else should I be considering as I make this decision?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow