What if?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,223
What if?

Probably due to not having enough to do, I was doing some dreaming. Probably a momentary attack of GAS.

Suppose, I was to pick up a Sony A6400 and mount a Tamron 18-300 lens on it. I am wondering how that combination might compare to my RX10iv?

Now I know the zoom range will be much less, ergo 27mm to 450mm compared to the 24-600mm of the RX10iv. And the A6400 has a bit more resolution, 24MP vs 20MP.

But how much will the advantage of the larger APS-C sensor light gathering be offset by the slower lens? Some of the reviews of the Tamron lens suggested the best sharpness appeared to be around f/8. That is two stops slower than the f/4 of the RX10iv.

Now I know that there are plenty of faster lenses and I did own an A6000 before I bought the RX10. My thoughts were leaning to a wide zoom where I would not have to swap lenses, as I find lens swapping to be inconvenient. So, I would limit this question to just the one "all purpose" lens.

My question is basically, will I see enough of any advantage over the RX10iv to consider purchasing such a combination, or would it end up in a wash? And I was not thinking of replacing the RX10iv, merely adding to it.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 IV +2 more
Sony a6000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow