Color Or Mono Q2?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pcassel Senior Member • Posts: 2,080
Color Or Mono Q2?

I’m sure this has been kicked about here but I can’t find it.

I’m a former short time pro now a hobbyist who has always wanted a Leica because there’s a certain Leica look that I suspect is familiar territory here. I could never justify the cost even as a pro because what I did wasn’t in the arena of Leica. My ideal hobby camera is the M10 Monochrom but the cost of the body and even a single lens is out of reach. Besides, if I got the 35, I’d only then want more so it’d be too much cost followed by beyond the realm.

I say Monochrom because much of my hobby shooting is black and white after a conversion. Now I’ve decided that the question, “If not now, then when?” applies to me so I’m going to buy a Leica. My decision matrix holds two candidates but I’d be open to suggestions. Both are the Q2 but the thing that has me on the fence is regular or Monochrom.

I’ve done my homework and acknowledge the Monochrom has a tech edge due to the lack of filters ahead of the sensor and one more stop of ISO. However, I’m uncomfortable spending so much (for me) money on a narrow focus camera where the Q2 color is an all purpose camera I can take on vacation to shoot regular shots I can then convert to mono if I wish.

I understand the filter in front need for the Monochrom but I’m used to it. My burning question is how much loss of ‘the Leica look’ will I lose shooting the color Q2 and then moving to mono in post? I’m *not* a pixel peeper. I’m talking 16 x 24 prints or maybe up to double that size. If I put my converted color next to a true Monochrom print, will I see a difference from a normal viewing distance?

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

-- hide signature --

-paul

Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow