'Normal' range Pro lens choice?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dlevitt Senior Member • Posts: 1,040
'Normal' range Pro lens choice?

I'm looking to get one of the 'normal' range Pro zooms [normal == lens includes 25mm] to supplement my 12-200 travel zoom [and pair of 'R' lenses] mostly for use with my M1.2 body.

The usual suspects include

• 12-40 f/2.8
  • 12-45 f/4
  • 12-100 f/4
  • 8-25 f/4
  • 12-60 f/2.8-4

The 12-whatever range zooms duplicate some of the range of the travel zoom.

Only the 12-45 is notably smaller than the 12-200.

The 8-25 offers some additional wide angle choices that I have not used in any format. [most expensive of the bunch]

The 12-40 is the 'natural' lens selection for the M1 body - but I have seen comments about users replacing it with the 12-100 as their everyday lens.

The 12-45 is missing the manual focus 'clutch' - but would balance nicely even on smaller bodies like my M10.2

I recently rented the 12-100 and was happy with it except for one photo opportunity [small aircraft landing at sunset on the tip of Cape Cod] where I would have preferred the 12-200

So, with one of the 'usual suspects' would you put on your list with the current [through 5 December] pricing??

-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +6 more
Olympus 12-200mm F3.5-6.3 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow