ScanCafe vs DigMyPics for negative scanning?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
slidehound New Member • Posts: 2
ScanCafe vs DigMyPics for negative scanning?

I've got about 1,000 35mm negatives I'd like to get scanned. After doing a lot of research and comparing reviews and prices, ScanCafe and DigMyPics seem like the best options to me. I'd appreciate some additional feedback if anyone has used these services and particularly if you've had negatives scanned. The reviews I've seen on "official" review sites seem old and it's hard to find any recent reviews.

ScanCafe has a 50% off sale that ends tonight. DigMyPics doesn't have any discounts, but their pricing seems to work out to not be drastically higher than the after-discount price on ScanCafe. Though, ScanCafe is still cheaper with the sale, so if they're the better option, I'd want to order today.

Both services said they could provide me with both edited JPEGs and unedited TIFFs. I figure the unedited files will be good to have in case I ever want to go back and do any edits of my own.

ScanCafe gave me a turnaround estimate of up to 6 weeks, whereas DigMyPics said up to 15 business days, but I'm not in a rush, so not a big deal if it takes a long time.

My general sense for looking at whatever user reviews I could find is that DigMyPics seems to have a somewhat better reputation overall. Some complained that ScanCafe sends materials to India to be scanned, but I confirmed with them that they no longer send anything overseas and everything is scanned in the USA.

All else being roughly equal, what I'm most concerned about is what the actual scan quality will be for negatives. I saw a few reviews mentioning ScanCafe scans weren't very sharp. Other people said the negative scan quality was good. So, not sure what to believe there. DigMyPics seems to have good reviews overall, but there don't seem to be many reviews outside of Google customer reviews.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow