Canon EF 600mm Ultra Sonic Motor Questions.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
MaybeMatt New Member • Posts: 1
Canon EF 600mm Ultra Sonic Motor Questions.

Hello Everyone,

TL:DR Which Canon lenses utilize their larger diameter USM.

This is my first post here, and in general, I'm very new to photography. Please bare with me if I ask silly questions, or even if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I recently purchased a Canon EF 600mm F/4L USM (non-IS) for repair. I managed to trace the issue with the focus system to a glass ring at the base of the helicoid. I am not sure what it is, but of anyone has an idea, I'd love to know.

The main issue happened when I was attempting to reassemble the lens. I was being lazy, and didn't de-solder any of the leads on the main board. As a result of all the excessive movement during repair, the flex cable for the USM broke off. I hastily/angrily attempted to repair it, and ended up doing further damage.

I've read that Canon only made two different sizes of their USM's, a 60-ish mm and a 85ish mm. Does anyone know what other lenses use the larger motor? Looking at them online, I should be able to splice the 2 ribbon cables together, and make a functional lens again.

Thank you in advance,

MM

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow