1Ds Mark III (Post processing, etc...) Tips

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
3Percent
3Percent Regular Member • Posts: 295
1Ds Mark III (Post processing, etc...) Tips

Just dialing in my 1Ds Mk III in terms of shooting settings and post processing. I'm a raw only kind of guy so for Jpeg shooters, this isn't for you. Finally got it where I wanted, so I'm sharing my workflow and thoughts.

First of all the 1Ds Mk III serves as nostalgia for me. I like pro grade cameras so this one is a throw back to an older-times-kind-of-camera in my collection. That said, I still want to get the most out of it that I can so that when I shoot with it seriously I make images I'm proud of. Of which this means that dialing in settings and post processing techniques is vital.

In the camera I set it to Adobe RGB color space and raw + Jpeg because jpegs are quick and easy to cycle through when going over images. For me they just serve as a base starting point in terms of composition and general exposure. I prefer the camera neutral profile for Jpegs, even though I don't use them. I turn off sharpening, and NR completely, and back off contrast as far as it will go in camera.

Since I use it as a landscape camera, these settings favor getting the most range of light in one exposure. I prefer to use ISO 200 100% of the time, if I can. I like to hand hold most of my landscape shots.

Enable Highlight Tone Priority (this is huge) to further the ability to keep highlights properly exposed, which also enables me to properly expose shadows and mids much better than without it enabled. I shoot with the ETTR (expose to the right) technique.

HTP and ETTR are highly important.

In ACR I choose the Camera Neutral Profile, and back off the contrast slider and push the blacks slider until I have all my shadow's/blacks within the histogram. I start with the black slider, then adjust the contrast down. I will back off the exposure slider if needed to get highlights and midtones correct.

I don't usually enable any luminescence NR at all, and only use chroma NR about +10 with +20 or so smoothing.

White balance adjusted to taste. I prefer the most accurate color possible.

After the raw is created I open the file and apply a +170 (.3 pixel radius) unsharp mask to the images since the Mk III has a pretty hefty AA filter.

That's about it. My goal is to get the most accurate exposure, detail, and color possible- if your goal varies, vary your post processing technique.

Sample image here (for color, detail, mids, highlights) only, it's not supposed to be a special photo.

3Percent's gear list:3Percent's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X20 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony RX10 II +28 more
Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow