Started 8 months ago | User reviews thread
OP Stevie Boy Blue Senior Member • Posts: 1,770
*Just what I was looking for, Olrett*

olrett wrote:

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

Panasonic 14 – 140 Mk 2 F3.5 – F5.6 Lens review:

[...]

Cheers...

Thank you for writing a review for this lens. it really deserves a review, and a good one at that.

My very first MFT camera (in 2009) was a GH1, and it came with the very first 14-140mm lens, the Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS, which was slower, bigger and heavier. That range however was great.

So recently I got the lens you are reviewing here because I was really missing that range. The lens was bought used from mpb.com, trading in an Olympus Teleconverter 1.4 that had been sitting around unused for a long time. I ended paying 289 euros for this lens, and I am very pleased with it.

Yes, the friction in the zoom ring is there also on mine, and considering it is a used lens that has been zoomed in and out a bit before I laid my hands on it, methinks we will just have to live with this 'feature'. Incidentally, my 100-300 sports the same feature. One really only notices it when turning the ring slowly. I tried various ways of turning that ring, from circling it with my hand all around with a certain degree of pressure to just gently barely touching it with the tips of two fingers. Doesn't matter, I won't record videos with it.

For me, this lens on any camera is a nice combo to capture whatever catches my eye.

I took the G9 along with this lens a couple of days ago. It was lying on the passenger seat in the car when I spotted a grey heron on a power line by the road. It's a common bird, but this was the first time I had seen one here. Quickly pulled to the side and got this (SOOC):

Grey heron (Ardea cinerea)

A tiny chapel on a hill near my favourite petrol station (all SOOC):

Outside, I noticed this plant still flowering in November:

Wood calamint (Clinopodium menthifolium)

View from the chapel

Dinner time (shot from the car along the road).

I know I could have focused better, composed better and used different apertures to get better images. My point is, this lens is fine as an allrounder even for someone without particular skills and little time.

Hey. You’re most welcome, Olrett.

When I’m impressed with any gear, I’m always happy to write a review of it. Thank you for replying to me.

Your input is just what I was looking for. The fact that you have a second-hand copy of this updated lens suggests what I expected; the stickiness in zoom operation likely applies primarily to the Mk 2.

As I said in the OP, I can certainly live with it, and you’re bang on in your description of how it behaves in use. I wouldn’t use it for video, either, but for stills it’s no real problem to me. If I’m still using it as frequently in five years time from now, maybe the stiffness will have eased a bit. Truth is, though, I don’t really care ether way. It’s a great lens with or without the quirk.

By the way, I’d also heard it said of the newer 100 – 300, so I appreciate your experience re that lens, too.

Thanks again for your input and nice example photos. Keep up the good work and above all, enjoy your photography for as long as you can.

Have fun.

Cheers and all the best...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow