NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,978
Like PL4? Just spending money?

I have and use DXO PL 4.

I can upgrade for $49 to PL5

Anything faster?

Using PC Win 10

16GB DDR4 RAM

GPU: 1650 with 4GB DDR5 RAM

Another option (for $99 ) is Topaz Image bundle.

Thoughts?

I think that if you like PhotoLab 4--I certainly did--then moving a substantial part of your image processing from PL 4 to Topaz software seems like a mistake. IMO really learning to use one piece of software, or multiple pieces of closely-integrated software (like PL and ViewPoint), is a better path to achieving the results you want than is jumping around from one software package to the next. So I would not replace PL, with Topaz or anything, unless you really dislike PL. And if you really dislike PL, then I'd look first at Capture One and second at Adobe Lightroom.

Regarding whether PL 5 is worth $49 to upgrade over PL 4: that is a tougher question. If you want to process raw files from one of the Fuji cameras that uses an X-Trans sensor, then clearly yes. If processing speed (especially using DeepPrime) is important to you and you have hardware that will take good advantage of PL 5's potential speed increases, then clearly yes. After that it becomes a closer call. FWIW, neither of those applies to me, but nevertheless I upgraded from PL 4 to PL 5 (for $79) as soon as it came out.

Last and least, if you simply have $49 or $99 burning a hole in your pocket and you think you might want to spend it on software, ask yourself what you really want to achieve / improve. If you print, then Qimage Ultimate (for Windows) or Qimage One (for Mac OS) is where I'd start, unless you really like to print huge but don't have a high-resolution camera, and your computer will run Topaz Gigapixel AI (mine won't), in which case the Topaz bundle might be a good choice. And if none of the above conditions applies to you, then IMO maybe reconsider whether you should be spending the money on software instead of something else.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow