Recommendation for an EDC, Fuji XF10 or Panasonic GX9?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jason_t Junior Member • Posts: 30
Recommendation for an EDC, Fuji XF10 or Panasonic GX9?

Hi guys, as the title suggests, I'm currently looking at getting an EDC that will be in my hands or small bag with my phone and wallet. I'll be getting it used. Some of you might point me towards the GR iii but I have decided against it due to the issues with dust. I have no interest in sending gear for repair or taking apart my gear to fix it myself.

With that out of the way, my reasons for considering either are

XF10:

• Dirt cheap
  • Compact design, lens doesn't stick out.
  • The black version is just as stealthy as the Ricoh.
  • Film Simulations (as an XT4 owner, I kinda want to have it in my EDC)

GX9 + Pana Leica 15mm f/1.7

• Ease of cleaning sensor in case of dust
  • Slightly more... "professional" camera
  • IBIS
  • f/1.7
  • Better autofocus?
  • 4:3 aspect ratio. It is something I've been wanting to try out but never did. 

I've heard about the XF10 autofocus issues, but some people have claimed firmware updates have resolved it. I will pretty much use single point focus re-compose since it's solely to replace my phone. Nothing crazy like tracking people or anything. It's just a Ricoh with no dust issues and a weaker autofocus in a sense. Reasonable trade-offs in my opinion.

As for the GX9, IBIS could be wonderful. Ever since getting a taste of cameras with IBIS, it is a feature hard to let go of. The price will be much higher after factoring in the lens, but it's a f/1.7 which will be a touch better than f/2.8 of the XF10, and probably sharper since it's a Pana Leica lens.

jason_t's gear list:jason_t's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 18mm F1.4 R LM WR
Fujifilm XF10 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow