MFT or Fuji

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ElliotV Contributing Member • Posts: 549
MFT or Fuji

I have been shooting Micro Four Thirds, both Panasonic and Olympus, since late 2009, with a little bit of Pentax thrown in a few years back.

My main photography is:

• Birds, mainly stationary, backyard and on walks or occasional hikes.
  • Landscapes, mainly local and on short hikes.
  • People and pets, mainly at home, indoors at classical music concerts, or outdoors

My main usage of lenses for MFT has been the Panasonic 100-400mm, a telephoto such as the Olympus 12-40 or Panasonic Leica 12-60, and a 14-150 for more casual use, together with a 45mm prime.

I now have the Olympus E-M5 Mark III as my sole camera, but would like something with a bit more dynamic range and the emphasis on manual ISO, exposure compensation, and shutter speed dials, and aperture rings on the lenses. The alternative would be to invest in a E-M1 Mark III. (I am not comfortable with the Panasonic G9 ergonomically, as I have owned it and sold it.)

The Fuji X-T4 with the XF18-55 would be the replacement (I already picked up a used 18-55). It seems to be a very sharp and pleasing lens, though a bit short on the long end. But as I look at other Fuji zooms, the reviews seem to suggest that the XF16-80 or XF18-135 would compare unfavorably to the similar MFT lenses. (The 16-55 is both more expensive and heavier than I would care to carry for the zoom range.)

My questions are these:
1. Aside from the sensor differences, are those Fuji lenses really inferior to the similar MFT lenses?
2. Would the Fuji 70-300 with the 1.4 adapter be a pretty good replacement for the Panasonic 100-400, understanding that the FF equivalent would be 630mm as against 800mm? It would be a weight savings. I guess someday the Fuji 100-400 would be a possible upgrade.

Thanks for any constructive guidance.

ElliotV's gear list:ElliotV's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Fujifilm X-T4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +7 more
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow