Firmware 3.40 issues

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Qbalion
Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 635
Re: Firmware 3.40 issues

I did 2 photo sessions after upgrading my Z7 to FW 3.4.

During the first session in the dark studio I was using external flashes with only leading bulbs producing a dim ambient light - not really very demanding light conditions. I was very unsuccesful with sharp portraits even if eye/face detection rectangles were in place. I was doing similar sessions half a year back with Z6 (FW probably 2.x or 3.0) with very good results.

After the session I discovered that many pictures were taken with AF-C Release Priority which could be the cause of many OOF shots. Later this week I hope to check a studio setup with AF-S and Focus Priority combinations.

But I also did another session during a day in a studio with large windows allowing me to shot in natural light. My keepers ratio was very much ok that day - probably comparable to Z6 FW 3.0 and Z7 FW 3.3.

I am not sure now if FW ver 3.4 made Z7 struggling with OOF faces when using face/eye recognition in low light conditions or those problems were always there with Z7 and not that much with Z6 which I was using before...

-- hide signature --

Our craft over our lenses over the camera bodies

Qbalion's gear list:Qbalion's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow