Help with testing sharpness/focus of Samyang 12mm for landscape astrophotography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MartStokeley Junior Member • Posts: 37
Help with testing sharpness/focus of Samyang 12mm for landscape astrophotography

Hi brains trust,

I recently picked up a Samyang 12mm (APS-C) due to much fanfare and have now had the chance to try to shoot with it a few times. With previous lenses I have always found that I can focus beyond infinity, however with this one it appears that infinity is right at the end of the focal rotation - or that perhaps it does not even quite reach infinity because stars don't seem as sharp as they should anywhere along the focal range.

I've attached two images to demonstrate (please let me know if these cannot be zoomed in on for proper inspection) the first with the new Samyang and the second with my 16-55mm 2.8 which I feel achieves more accurate infinity focus.

Keen to hear any thoughts from others about whether I'm being too much of a stickler or there is actually an issue here. Also keen to hear from any Samyang 12mm users as to where you've found infinity focus to be on your lens (i.e., the very end of the range or somewhere before).

Cheers!

Samyang 12mm f2

Fuji 16-55 f2.8

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow