Back here after 19 years, not much the wiser but still keen to invest!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stripey Cat
Stripey Cat New Member • Posts: 7
Back here after 19 years, not much the wiser but still keen to invest!

Hello DPreviewers!

The last time i was around these parts was back in the days of the Sony F717, when i spent a good two years agonizing over whether to buy that particular beast or not!

Fast forward almost two decades, and i'm still not too much the wiser about what the best options in a particular bunch might be after navigating these forums for the last 8 months or so!

I think what i'm after is either a camera that would be classified as a point and shoot but that is so good, or at least very good, so that it could cover most areas - low light, indoor, some action (not much though), landscape - really an all rounder, if possible? Or, alternatively, a camera body that would be something i could invest in lenses for over time moving forward, in case the photography bug were to bite, which it hasnt - but which i'm trying to get it to.

Currently i use my workplace's 750D body with the stock 18-55mm lens, but that doesn't seem to really be coming up with fantastic or any kind of passable results no matter how i much i experiment; i've been looking to invest in one or two lenses for it myself like a canon 50mm 1.4 or 1.8, but i think it might make sense for me to consider sinking the money into a decent machine of my own, unless i'm wrong?

The only cameras that i can find getting near to some form of 'all rounder' status here and on other review sites that i follow, are the sony 'a' series, and more than one of the sony RX series - with price being a factor, i would need to stay in the RX price range most likely as i don't have a budget of thousands. I'm also very curious about whether any other entry level enthusiasts have had great results from other cameras from either Sony or other manufacturers, though. The other maker that i was considering way back in the day was Fuji when they were promoting their interpolation tech in some of their first cameras, but from what i can see here they may not necessarily be frontrunners any longer.

I am aware that having asked questions like this before, the answer that 'you need to figure out what it is you want a camera for' has come back more than once - if I were to summarise what i'd like to invest in at the outset it would be an all-rounder, ideally a point and shoot but in second place would be a body that i could then swap lenses out for over time if that is going to be absolutely necessary in order to take a wider variety of images in a variety of shooting situations or locations.

I have been advised before to do the research on dpreview (and other websites), which i've been up to for just over half a year now, but i thought it might be time to take the plunge, and ask a few questions at this point.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!!

Canon EOS Rebel T6i (EOS 750D / Kiss X8i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow