XF 50mm f2 a "review" which isn't needed and some shots

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pifilos Regular Member • Posts: 168
XF 50mm f2 a "review" which isn't needed and some shots

What I mean by not needed is that the lens is old enough to have a decent amount of pros and amateurs, but I guess one more won't hurt.

I only got mine one week ago mainly for shooting in the streets at night. I was debating between a used xf 56mm 1.2 or a Viltrox 56mm 1.4 but ended up with the 50mm. No point to write specific info for each of its characteristics like build quality, af etc. I will only confirm that the build quality and handling is very nice indeed, the aperture has very satisfying clicks, the lens hood is indeed weird but amazing for rainy days which are my favourite so it works just fine for me and of course the colors, contrast and sharpness are very very good. Lastly one thing about the focusing. Autofocus is pretty much instant indeed during daytime but during nighttime on rare occasions it can get slower. I am using an X-T20 so it might has to do with the low light sensitivity of the camera (please let me know in the comments if you know). Not saying that as a con but just something I noticed. The manual focusing is suprisingly smooth. For my standards (hobbyist, amateur etc) it is a solid 5/5.

Below are a few shots I took during my first week with the lens all edited just a bit in Capture One.

Friend of mine, not stranger

pifilos's gear list:pifilos's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A230 Fujifilm X-T20 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR
Fujifilm XF 50mm F2 R WR
Prime lens • Fujifilm X
Announced: Jan 19, 2017
pifilos's score
Average community score
Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R APD Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
rsn
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow