Photography through an Orion Apex 102 Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
B_Gardner Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: Photography through an Orion Apex 102 Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope

I am a long-time amateur astronomer and have some experience using telescopes visually. About a year ago I bought a Canon M6 Mark II and have been exploring its capabilities in combination with a Tamron 150-600 zoom and a Star Adventurer mount.

Although my AP results to date have been modest, I am pleased nonetheless because I remember how difficult and disappointing the results of my astrophotography efforts had been many years ago using film cameras.

Recently I have been reading as much as I can about modern AP in preparation for transitioning at some point to a better mount, and am also looking to transition from the Tamron camera lens to a suitable telescope.

However, I’ve noticed that data on the size of the image circle produced by many telescopes is hard to find. For example, when I read the OP’s question, I tried googling the specs for the Orion Apex 102 Mak-Cas in order to find the image circle diameter. No joy.

Another example. Not to pick on Tele Vue, but they do not provide the diameter of the image circle for their scopes, including their 2 imaging scopes:

https://televue.com/Pdf/Literature/Tele%20Vue%20Telescopes%20Recommendations%20and%20Specs.pdf

I googled “tele vue image circle” and found a thread on Cloudy Nights where someone was reduced to randomly asking for info on the image circle for the Tele Vue NP127is:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/770644-televue-np127is-image-circle/

This is hard to understand. Why do telescope OEMs and vendors not provide this essential piece of info? Why is a potential buyer reduced to seeking info on Cloudy Nights about the image circle for a $7,000+ telescope and being referred to a German vendor’s website for this info?

Thanks for any feedback.

B_Gardner's gear list:B_Gardner's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow