Buy 2 Lenses or 1 Lens and a Teleconverter?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jrbrann New Member • Posts: 10
Buy 2 Lenses or 1 Lens and a Teleconverter?

I own an A6600 with a couple of Sigma Primes, and a Tamron 17-70mm 2.8 as my walking around lenses. I am missing out on the 70mm+ range. I have two main purposes for the 70mm+, one is to film/pictures while traveling and hiking, with some low light possibilities, and #2 to capture my daughter (12) as she plays soccer (full size field) and runs cross country track, etc. I am having an internal debate-

Option #1- Budget buster- Sony 70-200mm 2.8 G2 and the 2.0 teleconverter (I think that brings me down to F5.6, but bumps the G2 to 140-400mm. The pros here- lens is super sharp, OSS, good for low light without the teleconverter and holds their value really well if well taken care of. Cons- heavy, and as stated at the start I would be in well over $3k, I have heard mixed reviews about the IQ and AF with the TC- at least on the older Sony 70-200 lens.

Option #2- Tamron 70-180mm 2.8 and a "budget zoom" like the Tamron 150-500mm. Pros-cheaper by nearly $1000, further zoom, could be more flexible to have two separate lenses. Cons- Takes up more space, at the longer zoom it is a slower lens, even with the teleconverter.

Is there an options 3?

Is there anything I am missing here? I do not mind investing in good equipment, but I want to make sure I am making a wise decision.

Which way have you decided to go, and why?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow