My Z50 feels complete. 18-140Z Review with 2.20 Firmware

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Paul Petersen
Paul Petersen Senior Member • Posts: 1,314
My Z50 feels complete. 18-140Z Review with 2.20 Firmware

I received my copy from the first shipment from B&H the middle of this month and have a few limited opportunities to test it. But this is a great reflection on the general purpose uses this lens covers.

I have been a long term DX shooter progressing from my start with a D70 in 2005 upgrading to the D90, D7200 & 7500. The Z50 has been a really great experiment that I have grown to love. With the latest firmware update the AF really seems to work picking out faces and eyes even when there is not enough light to focus properly. I still bring my D7500 alongs since there is still times the DSLR experience can't be beat IMHO.

Nikon's F mount 18-140 worked OK with the Z50 but was quite ungainly with the FTZ and the AF-S motors can't move the focus elements responsively enough to focus really well with the. My AF-P 70-300 and 10-20 both work like the native Z lenses. This lens is the perfect match for the Z50. I had the 16-50 Z mount but never cared for its limited range and the rack out to operate feature. Yes its nice to make it compact and carry around but having to rack it out every time is not my thing. This lens is the ticket for carry around ready to shoot on the move action. Now the only thing I have to wait on is the Z50 to wake up.

How does it work? Its competent for what it is but will not blow you away with resolution. I am spoiled by when I mount my Sigma 18-35 F1.8 the resolution is breathtaking. This lens can't do that. But it can't deliver the range this one does and weighs more than the Z50 and this lens.

One of my favorite things about my Z50 is shooting selfies with it. They are so much better than even my state of the Art iPhone 13 mini can't touch. Pictures have color and depth a phone can only dream of. This lens will shadow the flash pretty much in all pictures and I have yet to receive my Nikon lens hood for it which is disappointment having to pay 40 dollars for a piece of plastic and like lots of Nikon accessories is not shipping. Don't get me started about MBD25 batteries for the Z50.

The size and weight of the lens is perfect for the Z50. Construction is solid and feels good to operate, the focus breathing is very well controlled for video shooting. Making my Z50 a good replacement for my camcorder. The plastic mount is not a concern since a metal mount would just stay on the camera body if dropped shearing off the screws attaching points to plastic lens body. Its a nice aesthetic touch and I hope Nikon put the money saved into the glass inside that will provide value to me.

I will insert a couple a photos from a gallery of my first shots. Please check them out for what they are. I may eventually do some comparison shots with other lenses of the same subject.

https://peterzpicts.smugmug.com/Photography/Nikon-18-140Z

A bad day of train chasing is better than a good day at work.
http://peterzpicts.smugmug.com/

Paul Petersen's gear list:Paul Petersen's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR +3 more
Nikon Nikkor Z DX 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 VR
Telephoto zoom lens • Nikon Z
Announced: Oct 13, 2021
Paul Petersen's score
Average community score
Nikon D70 Nikon D7200 Nikon D7500 Nikon D90 Nikon DX 18-140mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow