Sony a6000 & Safari - Confused

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
hode
hode Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: Sony a6000 & Safari - Confused

ActiveChewy wrote:

This forum is amazing! I have been reading through the threads and there is such good information, so much information that I think I'm in analysis paralysis! I'm hoping you all can help me.

I'm going on a safari soon and have a Sony a6000 with a 16-50 mm lens. I know I need a longer lens for the safari but unsure which lens would be best for me. I'm not a professional photographer by any stretch and really a beginner (I'm still learning how to use the a6000), I just want to be able to take better photos than I could with my iphone 13.

I'll be shooting fine JPEGs and doing some tweaks later on in lightroom. I want to avoid having to change lenses if at all possible because we'll be on game drives and it gets dusty out there and I don't want to take another camera (I'll already have my iphone 13 and the a6000).

Since I would like to not change lenses I was thinking this lens would work best and would love your thoughts on it. Will it work ok in early morning game drives where there's not a ton of sun out yet? Will it be super heavy to hold (I'm a petite woman)? Is there something I'm not considering? Welcome any and all of your thoughts!

Sony - 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Compact E-Mount Standard Zoom Lens - Black

Or am I better off just getting the 55-210mm and saving some $, and just using my iphone 13 for landscapes and my a6000 for the animals on this trip.

Thank you in advance!

Hi!

You could go for 55-210 for money saving, and also use it for landscape. Try photo-stitching?

I've been to a safari once, and never had the need for 210mm. This is because the safari-car drove us really close to the animals. What about Sony E 18-105/4.0 G PZ OSS? Excellent image quality, F/4 all over the zoom range. Not to bad when zooming and in lower light. Also, if you need more zoom, the ClearImageZoom function is not too bad.

-- hide signature --

FrodeHode

hode's gear list:hode's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow