Best Wide-angle Lens Recommendations for Fullframe Sony Mirrorless Camera?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Doggomatic
Doggomatic New Member • Posts: 11
Best Wide-angle Lens Recommendations for Fullframe Sony Mirrorless Camera?

Hello,

I am in the market for a decent wide-angle lens that is hopefully around a budget of $1000. I've been looking at various lenses available for Sony E-mount fullframe mirrorless camera, and not sure what would really be the best option without doing any rentals or trials for them. I am hoping for a lens with at least 16mm focal length option or below, and can hopefully have filters (like ND or polarizing). I would also prefer a nice and wide aperture below f/4, but that doesn't seem possible for a wide angle lens around $1000. The Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD would seem like a good option, but I would still like to have a wider focal length.

I am also aware that there are zoom and prime lenses, but I honestly do not know which I should go for anyways. A majority of my photography is all landscape, so the only reason I might end up zooming is to maybe photograph a person or crop out parts of a landscape that I might not want in my photo. However, my camera has a pretty high resolution (a7R IVA) and it might not matter if I just manually crop the photo when I process it, if I use a prime lens.

It's been a while since I have been in the camera market so I am just starting to read up on a lot of these lens reviews and details, but I do not know if it is common place for lens to be able to easily focus at infinity? I've heard that there are lens that can automatically snap to infinity as one of its features so I am not sure if that is something that I can easily find on lenses that are compatible with my Sony camera as well.

Doggomatic's gear list:Doggomatic's gear list
Sony a7 IV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow