R6, RF800, Animal Eye AF,...

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stig Nygaard
Stig Nygaard Regular Member • Posts: 261
R6, RF800, Animal Eye AF,...

My primary camera is the 7DII, but while I'm still waiting/hoping for an "R7" to create a more convenient mirrorless APS-C kit around, I recently lost patience trying Animal Eye AF and purchased an R6 and the RF800. And I just thought I would share a few of my results with this combo...

Animal Eye AF was a great help shooting these. Especially the cat with the catch. The cat was just 2-3m from me when it suddenly made a long jump into a bush, and out it came with the mouse/vole in its mouth. But sitting with my RF800mm attached, at first the cat was much to close to focus on or frame with its catch. Luckily it decided to walk a little away and look back at me for a moment. And it walked just far enough away, for me to be able to focus and frame the "portrait". However having to concentrate on holding the lens steady, getting everything in frame (the result is not cropped vertically at all) and getting focus perfect on eyes in a second before the cat turned away again, would probably be practically impossible without the automatic eye-detect focusing.

Btw, [most of] the deers are shot close to sunset, with only a few rays from the late autumn sun finding its way through some surrounding trees. So while f/11 doesn't make it easier, it is not impossible to get (in my opinion) good shots in low light with this lens. Actually ISO is higher on my daylight photos here (though I think it was grey overcast days, not really bright days). I guess the later deer shots learned me I shouldn't be too afraid of slowing down the shutter a bit, at least for this kind of photos.

Stig Nygaard's gear list:Stig Nygaard's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +18 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow